Re: lmodern fonts and sarge

Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> wrote:

>   1. The fonts screen rendering on the X screenshots is not the most
>      pleasing I've ever seen (it seems there is no anti-aliasing at all)
>      but I've read it's a known problem in XFree86 (poor rendering of
>      Type 1 fonts). Perhaps it can be configured for better rendering, I
>      don't know. Perhaps it will be improved in a future release...

Last spam from me, I promise. :)

I've added a screenshot with OpenOffice.org using the lmodern fonts. The
rendering is better than what I was referring to in the paragraph quoted
above because OpenOffice.org does some anti-aliasing of the fonts (at
least in the Debian default configuration). However, it is stupid
(compared to gnome-character-map/fontconfig or well-behaved programs
using the X fonts directly) in that it fails to see the variants of
every family (italic, bold, etc.). Yes, there is some slanted text on
the screenshot: this is because the *family* is slanted in the first
place (LMSlanted10).

--
Florent