Re: apt-get dist-upgrade broken: udev

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Justin Pryzby wrote:

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 01:31:47PM -0400, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Tim Hunter wrote:

Brandon Kuczenski said:
Last night I was brave and attempted an apt-get dist-upgrade before I went
to sleep.  When I woke up this morning, the program had exited on an
error.

The error was in installing udev_0.068-2_i386.deb -- it complained that it
needed a kernel >= 2.6.12 to install, and promptly quit.  I assume that
the specified kernel is part of the dist-upgrade, but I cannot find a
kernel-image-2.6.1[2-9] debfile in my /var/cache/apt/archive directory.

new kernels are part of the linux-image package, that should take care of
things.
however udev requires that 2.6.12 is running to install

Okay -- so I need just a little apt-get help.  How do I get apt-get to
ignore the broken dependencies long enough to download and install
linux-image-2.6.12-.....?  Right now, every time I use apt-get to do
something, it tells me that dependencies are broken and advises running
'apt-get -f install', which fails.
How does it fail?  For me, udev installation fails every time I do
anything, but everything else installs okay, before and after its
failure.  I'm not planning on doing anything special to fix it, just
let it keep periodically failing..

A transcript:

# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
  hal: Depends: udev (>= 0.063) but 0.056-3 is installed
# apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
Correcting dependencies... Done
  udev
  udev
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 26 not upgraded.
410 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/310kB of archives.
After unpacking 270kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
(Reading database ... 135159 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace udev 0.056-3 (using .../archives/udev_0.068-2_i386.deb) ...
udev requires a kernel >= 2.6.12, upgrade aborted.
#

TIA,
Brandon