Re: X server will not start up after driver "upgrade" - 'fixed'

I 'solved' this problem, as some other readers suggested, by nuking my config files. It turned out to be something in ~/.gnome2 -- I moved all my files to a temp directory and logged in with an empty home directory, and then restored .gnome* and .gconf* directories one by one until login failed (it was a PITA because each time requires waiting for the X server to crash and for gdm to respawn... hmm, I suppose I could have automated it...)

Though I don't really consider this to be resolved, I really am sick of the problem. Perhaps when I have regained some fortitude i might take another crack, probably starting with that segfault reported by KDE. (I don't understand how something in ~/.gnome2 could affect the KDE startup process). But at least I have my computer back.

Thanks for reading, everybody.

-Brandon