Re: no inittab file after debian sarge net-inst

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 02:10:45PM -0700, Glenn English wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 16:03 -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>
> > > Right, inittab exists, and looks very sane. I might have made a little
> > > mistake and put etc on a separate partition. I take it that it is not a
> > > good idea. My current theory is to copy it all into the root dir and try
> > > again!
> > >
> > > If this is correct, and anyone wants to tell me how silly I have been,
> > > please, feel free :))
>
> Yup. /etc's gotta be there, you silly, silly person :-)
>
> > I've always wondered which top-level directories *have* to be in the root partition.
>
> /etc (to know which partitions to put where and how to set up the
> network, etc.)
> /bin and /sbin (for some programs like init and sh and mount and netstat
> and ifconfig and daemons, etc.)
> /root (I'm not sure why)
> and /lib (for kernel modules and dynamic linking)
The following are also nice to have, and don't actually take space
(but do require a mountpoint):

  /{sys,tmp,boot,dev,proc}

var is nice, for /var/{run,lock,log,tmp}.

I donno what the kernel does if /var/account/ DNE, but its not
critical, anyway.  /var decidedly *does* take space:
/var/{www,backups,account}.

Justin