Re: no inittab file after debian sarge net-inst

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 04:47:12PM +0000, Rhys Hardwick wrote:
> Justin Pryzby wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 05:02:02PM +0100, Macskasi Csaba wrote:
> >

> >>Write the inittab yourself! Or copy it from your favorite system...
> >>This should not be a problem...
> >>

> >It should not be a problem in that it should not happen.  Figuring out
> >what is borked is part II.
> >

> Right, inittab exists, and looks very sane. I might have made a little
> mistake and put etc on a separate partition. I take it that it is not a
> good idea. My current theory is to copy it all into the root dir and try
> again!
>
> If this is correct, and anyone wants to tell me how silly I have been,
> please, feel free :))

I've always wondered which top-level directories *have* to be in the root partition.  I'd bet at least /etc/fstab has to be, otherwise how could it find partitions at boot time?

I put /home elsewhere, usually.  Actually, I put sopecific /home/hendrik, /home/friend, and so forth elsewhere, using symbolic inks.  I'd really like it is I could put /var, /home, /tmp  -- in other words, the changables -- all in another partition. via symbolic links -- but hte installer doesn't give me that option.

-- hendrik