CD-Burning Problem

Hey all,
I have a laptop with a CD-RW/DVD drive in it. When I run k3b as a regular user, it detects the drive incorrectly as a reader, but it won't let me burn with the drive. If I run k3b as root, it correctly detects the drive as a CD-RW drive, and I am able to burn stuff without a problem. I would rather not become root to burn CDs.
I'm pretty sure that all of the permissions are correct on the drive itself.

martensjason:/home/jason# ll /dev/hdc
brw-rw-rw-  1 root cdrom 22, 0 Mar 14  2002 /dev/hdc
martensjason:/home/jason# groups jason
jason : jason disk dialout cdrom floppy audio burning

Any thoughts?

Jason