Installation Report

Hello,

I once again tried the latest daily build of the installer at the weekend.
I used the linux26 kernel and was quite happy with the installer. After
rebooting the system the glitches came up.

1. Inserting 14 CDs is a real pain, why isn't the file list on the first
   disk of a set? I reinstalled everything with net installation which
   was really slow.
2. X set-up asks about which graphics adapter I have. The hardware detection
   should be able to detect my Matrox 550 and give at least a preselection
   which makes sense. If that is not possible the shortcuts like mga need
   explanation like 'Most Matrox except ???'.
3. I selected a 1600x1024@75 resolution and it came up with a 800x600.
   After reconfiguring with dpkg-reconfigure I managed to get a better
   set up.
4. The GUI keyboard settings are broken, I have a German keyboard but X
   and only X deosn't care about it. Switching to text based full screen
   console (Alt-F1) gives me a German keyboard.
5. Found Mozillas menu font looks really ugly.
6. Installed a desktop environment and thought that the GNOME desktop would
   support my USB drives. No icon, no notification, nothing. Plug and play
   isn't supported in any way on the GNOME desktop.
7. I want GRUP on XFS drives.

Ok, X set-up and the GNOME environment needs work but:
1. The installer is a nice piece of software.
2. The network detection and set-up up works great with my DSL connection.
3. The hardware detection seems to work fine, the installer sees my
   ISDN card, SCSI card, USB drives, TV card...
4. The German translation of the installer is quite nice.

Regards
        Haug Bürger