Re: unable to disable ipv6 in sarge

On Sun, 2004-10-10 at 17:59 +0200, Andrea Vaccaro wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I cannot  disable ipv6. I tryed the following
>
> 1. edit /etc/modutils/aliases and uncomment the line
>
> #alias net-pf-10 off             # IPv6

Did you remove the '#' in that line? :)

> 2. run update-modules
> 3. reboot
>
> doing so the module ipv6.ko keeps beeing loaded al lsmod shows me.

Because some application is asking for AF_INET6 which causes modprobe to
load it anyway, if you want it or not.

> I need to disable ipv6 since dns lookups in any graphical application
> are damn slow. Indeed, in order to survive,  after a long struggle I
> just renamed the module file and now a can surf without swearing.

I suggest you arrange IPv6 connectivity instead ;)
In Switzerland that is not that hard after all...

DNS lookups btw should not cause any slowdown, the fact that your
browser tries to connect to IPv6 sites and that your connectivity is
quite apparently misconfigured causing packets to come timeout instead
of directly being returned with a icmp failure.

Greets,
 Jeroen