Cron won't run

All,

I have been unable to figure out why cron won't work.  The system is debian testing
with just regular cron on it.  I can stop and restart the cron process just fine,
but it never runs.  I can manually run-parts /etc/cron.daily and it completes just
fine in a few minutes.  But every morning I find that I have to run it manually
because cron didn't run the daily stuff.

This seems like a really basic simple thing, but I can't figure out what to do to
fix this problem.  Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
David