sarge problems with large disk (maybe)

Hi!

I am trying out sarge and am not sure if this is the correct mail list. If
not please direct me to the right one.

( I am a fresh, green debian user, was on Red Hat / Fedore before )

I DL'ed sarge CD images ( weekly from 20040925 ).

Install went smooth, but on the first boot I got a GRUB Error 18.

Then I switched in BIOS the IDE mode from RAID to normal ATA ( is only a
single disk drive in any case ) and now I get the GRUB menu, but GRUB
hangs after executing the "boot" command ( probably a known issue with
EDD, see
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=2aaZB-2Dj-35%40gated-at.bofh.it ).
After downgrading my BIOS it finally booted the kernel, but the it hung
with the following last printed :

pivot_root: No such file or directory
/sbin/init: 426: cannot open dev/console: No such file
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

Any clues ?

The disk is a Maxtor 160 GB, but the partitions were around 80 GB from
start of disk.

Any help appreciated !

sysinfo :

Gigabyte GA-7VAXP Ultra mainboard, BIOS version F6 ( downgraded to F4 )
Athlon XP-2200+, 768 MB RAM

Regards,
xerces8 ( this is my "anonymous" mail account )