Re: GCC 4.2 transition
On Sat, Jul 21, 2007 at 07:27:44PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Aurelien Jarno (email@example.com) [070721 18:51]:
> > Andreas Barth a écrit :
> > > So, some ideas come to my mind:
> > > 1. delay glibc upload until glib transitioned to testing
> > > 2. do another upload with shlib bump after glib transitioned to testing,
> > > and wait with gcc to that upload.
> > >
> > > (there might be better combinations, but none comes currently to my
> > > mind)
> > We really wants to do an upload of the glibc soon to fix various things.
> > What about the following combination:
> > 1. Upload glibc without the shlib bump, but with the switch to SPARC V9
> > optimizations + check in the preinst script.
> That means binaries built against it can still run on sparc v8 hardware,
There is no ABI change, so yes they can still run on SPARC v8 hardware,
as long as the glibc is not upgraded to the SPARC v9 optimized version
(but that should never happen given we refuse such upgrades in the
.''`. Aurelien Jarno | GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
: :' : Debian developer | Electrical Engineer
`. `' firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com
`- people.debian.org/~aurel32 | www.aurel32.net