Re: Please test the new kernel (2.6.18.dfsg.1-9)

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 09:15:18PM +0100, Robert Waldner wrote:

> I installed this on an up-to-date Etch U1 (sun4u), and it boots until it'd
>  like to mount the root-filesystem. Which fails, and if I'm not
>  mistaken, because it hasn't loaded any SCSI-drivers (esp in the case
>  of my U1). So I threw in yaird, which actually loaded scsi_mod, but
>  still no esp, so I had to explicitly set "MODULE esp" in yairds config
>  so that it would actually load esp and could go on booting.

Thanks for the report. This problem has been reported for yaird as bug
#341522 for over a year now without any reaction from maintainer, so
the chances that it's going to be solved in time for etch are pretty
slim. If you have a chance, please try initramfs-tools, which is an
alternative (and currently, the default) initrd generator. Simply
installing initramfs-tools, removing yaird and then running
'dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-2.6.18-4-sparc64' should regenerate the
initrd using it.

Best regards,
--
Jurij Smakov                                           jurij@wooyd.org