Sparc buildd queue - what you can do to help

Hi,

Recently a nice web page, summarizing the buildd status for different arches, was pointed out to me. For sparc it can be found at

http://buildd.debian.org/~jeroen/status/architecture.php?a=sparc

There are currently 134 packages listed as 'Building', majority of them are failing due to some reason, and are then re-queued periodically (some packages have been in this state for as long as 40 days!). In most cases the problem is not just going away, so rebuild attempts are just a waste of buildd time. The proper thing to do would be to look at every failing package and try to determine what's the preferrable course of action for it. It might be that it is failing because it's not supported on sparc, or just buggy on all arches, or because there is some genuine sparc-specific bug. Sorting through that and attempting to do the right thing (porting the package, or declaring it as unsupported on sparc, or even removing the package if it's excessively buggy) would be a very appreciated effort. I have my hands full with all the other stuff, but if someone would take initiative, I'd be glad to help. We could discuss the tricky cases on the list and establish some kind of team to work out the sparc porting issues.

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org