Re: Status of Debian on Sun Blade 150

Hi Wiktor,

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Wiktor Wandachowicz wrote:

Hello good Debian people!

Recently I tested the installation of Debian sarge on Sun Blade 150
and I got some success. Trying netinst / businesscard CD proved to be useless. So I tried the netboot image with 2.6.8 kernel and it worked!
Big thanks to Uwe Wuerdinger for pointing me in that direction.

Thanks to Andres Salomon (dilinger@d.o) we now have an unofficial netinst CD image, which should (hopefully) work on SunBlade. I would appreciate if people would test it. If testing works out, we'll try to propagate the required changes into the first post-release Sarge revision. Note that the kernel on the unofficial image is binary-incompatible with the kernel modules which are currently in the archive. It can be downloaded from

http://www.acm.cs.rpi.edu/~dilinger/iso.img

IMPORTANT: This is an unofficial image created for testing purposes only, so please do *NOT* report any problems with this image to the Debian's BTS or to the debian-installer team.

Information in the sarge manual
(http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.sparc/ch04s04.html)
(http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.sparc/ch05s01.html#boot-tftp)
seemed a bit confusing to me, so I did some experimentation on my own
with rarpd & tftpd servers. I think I've found an easier way than
suggested in manual.

Given that the sparc installation manual has not been updated for Sarge :-(, this is not surprising. Perhaps you would like to volunteer for updating it? As I understand, it is too late already to get all the translations in sync, but having at least the English version up-to-date would be an achievement. If you are up to it, you should probably discuss the details with Frans Pop.

I described everything in great detail and posted my results here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2005/04/msg00651.html

So, what do you think about my results? Do you think it may be of some
use? Tell me I did a good thing, and you'll make my day happy ;-)

It is a very useful and detailed write-up, a job well done. I have created a wiki page SparcInstallation notes (wiki.debian.net/?SparcInstallationNotes)
and included a link to your installation report there.

Friendly,
Wiktor Wandachowicz

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org