Fun upgrading libc (segmentation fault while going from stable to testing in Sun IPX)

I have a Sun IPX box in which I installed debian stable (woody) and have kept it up to date. Recently I decided to go to testing (sarge) int hat box. So, I edited /etc/apt/sources.list, changing stable to testing, then did apt-get update and then chose to update dselect and dpkg before doing the upgrade:

katrina:~# apt-get install dselect dpkg
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  debconf debconf-i18n debconf-utils debhelper dpkg-dev gcc-3.3-base gettext
  intltool-debian libc6 libdb4.2 libgcc1 libgdbm3 liblocale-gettext-perl
  libncurses5 libnewt0.51 libpopt0 libstdc++5 libtext-charwidth-perl
  libtext-iconv-perl libtext-wrapi18n-perl perl perl-base perl-modules
  po-debconf slang1a-utf8 whiptail
  debconf-i18n dselect gcc-3.3-base gettext intltool-debian libdb4.2 libgcc1
  libgdbm3 liblocale-gettext-perl libnewt0.51 libstdc++5
  libtext-charwidth-perl libtext-iconv-perl libtext-wrapi18n-perl po-debconf
  slang1a-utf8
12 packages upgraded, 16 newly installed, 0 to remove and 133  not upgraded.
4 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/16.4MB of archives. After unpacking 26.8MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 12008 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libc6 2.2.5-11.5 (using .../libc6_2.3.2.ds1-20_sparc.deb) ...

Name Service Switch has changed in the C Library: pre-installation question.

Running programs may not be able to do NSS lookups until they are restarted.
Some services can not accept all authentication after extracting glibc
package into your system.  This script automatically restarts some packages
for example ssh or telnetd, but other packages for example xdm
cannot restart because if it restarts automatically, then your X11 session
is disconnected.  So you have to logout and stop xdm; you have to
restart all such services after upgrading glibc with your hands.
Known packages that are needed to stop before installing glibc 2.3:
        xdm kdm gdm postgresql xscreensaver

This script does not detect services which need to stop.
If you want to stop upgrade for the present, please answer the below
question as No.

Do you want to upgrade glibc? [Y/n]

Unpacking replacement libc6 ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.3.2.ds1-20_sparc.deb (--unpack):
 dpkg: warning - old post-removal script killed by signal (Segmentation fault)

dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess pre-installation script killed by signal (Segmentation fault)
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.3.2.ds1-20_sparc.deb
katrina:~#

Would anyone have some suggestions for why I am getting the above segmentation fault message?