Re: Installation Failing Sun V100

Hi Brandon,

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Brandon Mercer wrote:

Is there a way where I can take the current snapshot and replace the new version of SILO with an older one? I forget how those CD's boot with regard to where they pull the boot information from. Whether it's off of the CD, or whether you use a file when you create the iso to tell the CD how to boot. My thought is that I can replace the silo version with the older one, or I can use lilo maybe. Thanks for any help,
Brandon

You've probably already tried it. You wrote in the first message that you attempted an installation stable release of Debian (woody), which contains the older SILO version. I have never build a bootable Debian CD myself, but there is a debian-cd package which should help you with it.

I tried tracing the execution path in the offending function, hoping to spot some floating-point instructions which are causing the hang. It turned out to be much harder than I've anticipated, so no positive results were achieved. One way which might give us the exact location of the failure is the information from the registers on PROM console. Once the machine hangs (after issuing "FP Disabled" message), press Stop-A to get back to PROM. If we are lucky, it will be smart enough to store the values of the registers, including the address of the last instruction executed. What I need is the output of the commands .registers and ctrace from there (I hope you are on the serial console). One important thing: you have to do it with some installation media which I can access for debugging (since the addresses are going to be image-specific). I recommend downloading one of the RC2 iso images, for example the RC2 businesscard iso image from

http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/sarge_d-i/sparc/rc2/sarge-sparc-businesscard.iso

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org