Re: Sarge install cd mounting problem

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Jason Parvu wrote:

I downloaded sarge and after I boot into the install and it gets to the
"Detect and mount CD-ROM" stage I get an error message "Your installation
CD-ROM couldn't be mounted. This probably means that the CD-ROM is not in
the drive...bla bla bla"  I have tried this on a sparc 10 and a sparc 5 with
different CD drive each.  Any ideas?

Hi,

This is a known issue with the RC2 installer, mentioned in the errata [0].
The failure is due to the missing isofs.o module on sparc32, the fix is on its way (not yet fixed in daily builds as of today, December 7th). If you feel adventurous, here's a workaround:

* Start installation and continue until the error message "CD-ROM cannot
  be mounted". Return to the d-i main menu and start a shell.
* At this point the module for your network card should be loaded (check
  with lsmod). You need to set up the networking manually, by issuing the
  commands:

  # ifconfig eth0 gw 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.11 up
  # route add default 192.168.0.1 eth0

  You have to replace the gateway IP addresses (the one following gw in
  the first command and the one in the second command), netmask and the IP
  adress of the machine in the first command by correct values.
* Set up the domain name resolver by running

  # echo 'nameserver 192.168.0.1' > /etc/resolv.conf

  Again, you have to replace the IP address of the nameserver by your
  correct value.
* Get the isofs.o module by running

  # wget http://www.wooyd.org/debian/isofs/isofs.o

* Make the appropriate directories and copy the module into place:

  # mkdir /lib/modules/2.4.27-1-sparc32/kernel/fs
  # mkdir /lib/modules/2.4.27-1-sparc32/kernel/isofs
  # cp isofs.o /lib/modules/2.4.27-1-sparc32/kernel/isofs/

* Load the isofs module:

  # depmod -a
  # modprobe isofs

* Exit the shell, return to the d-i's main menu and retry the option
  "Detect and mount CD-ROM". It should now mount and the installation
  should continue.

[0] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/errata

Good luck,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org