Re: break signal (stop-a) doesn't work

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 12:40:51AM -0400, maccorin wrote:
> hello.
>
> I run debian on a headless U60 (serial connection to install).  I would
> really like to be able to access PROM through the serial cable without
> having to reboot, but sending a break does not work as it should.  I
> have been searching the net for reasons why this wouldn't work and have
> only found to make sure that /proc/sys/kernel/stop-a has 1 in it, (it
> does).  Is there something I am missing that needs to be done for this
> to work correctly via a serial line?

How are you sending a break?  If you are connected to the u60 via a
serial cable to another machine, and you can shutdown that machine, that
should cause the U60 to drop to the OBP.  Pulling the cable out won't do
it, so don't bother with that.

Can you get it to drop out of POST and give you the OBP prompt by
sending a break?  if so, then you know your cable and terminal emulator
program are working the way you want.  If not, then the fault is with
one of those items.