Newbie Sparcstation 20 question

I have a sparcstation 20 I am trying to install 3.0 stable onto, and have a question. The system boots fine from the CD's, but it hangs with a "no console found - try passing an init= option" error. I have a GX-series SBus video card, and the only thing I could find after quite a bit of Googling around is to use a serial terminal for installation. Is there any way to pass options to the install kernel via SILO so that I can use the Sun keyboard & graphics adapter for the system console, or should I go buy a Sun null modem cable?