More Mouse problems...

Hi all,

  I've been going through all the debian-Sparc mail archives to avoid bother anybody with yet another mouse question.  I've found bits of what I'm looking for, but nothing seems to work, and I'm getting to the end of my rope on this.

  Anyway, I've got a dual processor Ultra 2, with a sun type 5 keyboard, and a sun mouse (Compact 1) plugged into the keyboard.  I've got Debian 3.0 r1 installed, and X up and running.  The only problem is that the mouse doesn't work!  Here's what I've done so far:

I've replaced the mouse thinking that the hardware might be bad
I've followed the advice from this list given in march 2001 of doing:
  cd /dev
  rm sunmouse
  mknod -m 600 sunmouse c 10 6

I've installed egcs64 (which wasn't installed for some reason)
I've re-deleted sunmouse and re mknod'ed
I've looked in /proc/interrupts and I don't see anything that looks like a mouse.  The interrupts I've got are 0-timer, 4-ESP SCSI, 5-HAPPY MEAL,11-floppy, 12-Zilog8530, 15-"SYSIO UE:7f4, SYSIO CE:7f5, SYSIO SBUS Error:7f6"
My /dev/mouse = mouse->sunmouse
gpm is NOT running
my XF86Config-4 file looks OK, my "configued mouse" points to /dev/sunmouse protocol = busmouse, then my "generic mouse" points to /dev/input/mice, and protocol = ps/2.

I've also changed the protocol of the 2 instances of the mouse in XF86Config-4 to just about every permutation of busmouse and ps/2.

What am I doing wrong?  What am I missing?  Thanks in adnavce for any info!

  David

-------
David J.  Novak                           GSM Radio Firmware
GSM Products Division                     CE/NSS
Motorola                                  Life v7.0
"Not all who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien