Re: Sparc Woody install freezes after asking for second boot floppy

On Mon, 6 May 2002, Chris Peterson wrote:
[snip]
>     Uncompressing image...
>     Booting Linux...
>     floppy0: WARNING disk change called early
>     VFS: Insert root floppy disk to be loaded into RAM disk and press ENTER
>
> Now the problems begin. The rescue/boot floppy is automatically ejected. I
> insert the root filesystem disk and press ENTER, but nothing happens! The
> machine seems to be frozen or not responding to my keypresses. If I press
> CTRL+BREAK to break into the OpenBoot ok prompt, nothing happens. I have to
> power-cycle the machine.
>
> Does anyone know what the problem might be? What might cause the warning
> about "floppy0: WARNING disk change called early"? Is that important or
> harmless?

That's a problem with the boot-floppies themselves.

Which version of boot-floppies was this?
the ones from ftp.debian.org (or a mirror)?
If so, try the ones at http://auric.debian.org/~bcolins/disk-sparc/

hth
Thomas

PS Why not try a tftpboot? You have another machine and it's by far easier
for the sparc-architecture.
--

	     You have changed the signature included in your e-mail.
	For these changes to take effect, you must restart your computer!