Re: Solution (Was: Sparc has slow disk access)

> Seems that there were not an optimal bs-default value on Sparc for
> this
> test.  If I set bs explicitely this way I got:
>
> Sparc/Solaris:  45s
> Sparc/Linux:    35s   !! (We are really good, aren´t we?)
> PC/Linux:       61s

Gratulations

> By the way it would be of course interesting, how to adjust reading
> block size in other applications than dd.  I started testing when I
> recognized that some PostgreSQL tables I created via
>
>    cat tabledefinition | psql database
>
> took much more time than on my PC.  Moreover I´m afraid that database
> access is slower if some parts of it do not fit into memory.
>
> Any hints how to tune that?

time cat smalltebledefinition | psql database -> real    0m0.306s
time psql -e database < smalltabledefinition  -> real    0m0.295s

may this 0.009s help you ;-)

regards
--
Hakan Kuecuekyilmaz, FHT-Esslingen
<hakan@lisas.de>

This mail sent through IMP: webmail.fht-esslingen.de