Re: Now What !!

On Wed, 9 May 2001, CTA wrote:

> After a week of trying to install on a sparc station, I
> finally go it (take in mind new to linux) ! I can boot
> up to debian,but where is the gui ?  I loaded debian
> with the iso image cd.  All I have is command line, what
> is the gui called for linux and where so I get that ?

Linux comes with Xfree86, which is a freeware version of X Windows. To
start up X, just type 'startx' at the shell (command line) prompt.

There are other ways to make X start up, such as using 'xdm' to bring it
up automatically once Linux is running (as I do with this machine that's
a Sparc 20 running Solaris 8, being changed over for an Ultra-30
tonight!), but for your own use, 'startx' is the simplest way to do it.

The online manual page should tell you everything you need to know. Type
'man startx' to read the manual entry for it.

Regards,

Craig.

--
  Craig Ian Dewick (craig@lios.apana.org.au). http://lios.apana.org.au/~craig
  Operator of Jedi (APANA Sydney member-access site) in Waterfall, Australia.