I have a Goldstar IDE CD drive.

	Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 14:24:14 -0000 (GMT)
	From: Jim Hague <jim.hague@acm.org>
	Sender: Jim Hague <jim.hague@insignia.com>

	<Warning: New to Debian Sparc>

	I've just been through the process of converting my Ultra5 to Debian (from
	Redhat), and found that I can't play audio CDs. gtcd crashes on startup - other
	CD players just produce no result on playing.

	I had a similar problem in the past when using a stock 2.2 kernel with RH (RH's
	custom kernel worked OK), but it worked in 2.3.xx, so I thought I'd try building
	a 2.4.0 kernel.

	Well, the build fails with

	../../gcc/config/sparc/sparc.c:1174: Internal compiler error in function
	sparc_emit_set_const32

	on several source modules.

	Q1: Am I the only one having trouble playing audio CDs on Ultra5?

	Q2: What do I need to do to compile 2.4.0?

	--
	Jim Hague - jim.hague@insignia.com (Work), jim@bear-cave.org.uk (Play)
	Never trust a computer you can't lift.