Potato: Playing audio CDs and building 2.4.0

<Warning: New to Debian Sparc>

I've just been through the process of converting my Ultra5 to Debian (from
Redhat), and found that I can't play audio CDs. gtcd crashes on startup - other
CD players just produce no result on playing.

I had a similar problem in the past when using a stock 2.2 kernel with RH (RH's
custom kernel worked OK), but it worked in 2.3.xx, so I thought I'd try building
a 2.4.0 kernel.

Well, the build fails with

../../gcc/config/sparc/sparc.c:1174: Internal compiler error in function
sparc_emit_set_const32

on several source modules.

Q1: Am I the only one having trouble playing audio CDs on Ultra5?

Q2: What do I need to do to compile 2.4.0?

--
Jim Hague - jim.hague@insignia.com (Work), jim@bear-cave.org.uk (Play)
Never trust a computer you can't lift.