Re: potato boot-disk broken

Eric Delaunay writes:
 > Dinh-Tuan.Pham@imag.fr wrote:
 > >        Hi,
 > >        I just download the file rescue.bin from the debian-sparc potato
 > > distribution and try to install a linux potato system on ma sun IPX (I
 > > take it from the directory sun3cdm/images-1.44). What happens it that
 > > it would go as far as trying to load the system then display the
 > > message
 > >
 > > Read error on block 73
 > > Unknown /linux image format
 > >
 > > (and there is no way to get out except by unplugging the cord !)
 > >
 > > I have tried to make a different rescue disk and even download again
 > > this disk image, but always get the same error.
 > >
 > > My old rescue disk from slink works fine though, but I would like to
 > > use the potato to save an upgradde. Besides, potato is now in freeze
 > > so I though the boot disk would be at least in a working state
 >
 > I get such error every now and then when testing bootdisks on my sparc2.
 > AFAIK it could be related to bad medium and/or bad drive.
 > It used to work just after a power up but one hour or so later it fails
 > (slighty higher temperature inside the box?).

My problem could indeed be due to hardware, because I just test the
boot disk on another sun IPC and it works. I thought the problem might
be due to temperature, so I have open the box and clean up some of
dust. But now the machine don't even boot: it says something like
(after lauching boot floppy ot the ok prompt)

Can't read disk label
Can't open Sun label package
Can't open boot device

But "test floppy" says the floppy drive is ok.

Any clue ?

--
PHAM Dinh Tuan                         | e-mail: Dinh-Tuan.Pham@imag.fr
Laboratoire de Modelisation et Calcul  | Tel: +33 4 76 51 44 23