2.1.1 tftpboot image

I've tried a couple of times this morning to boot the 2.1.1 image over
tftpboot on an LX, and it doesn't quite want to work.  It gives me a TILO
(!) prompt, where it sits for about 15 seconds, then boots, but afterwards
the installation program won't accept any input from the keyboard.  It
looks as though it's trying to find input through a serial port, but I
haven't got the necessary A/B splitter cable, so I can't test it.  So: is
this image not able to detect the connected keyboard, or has it been
designed for serial installation only?  I'll try on a different machine as
well (SS2 or IPX).

Hearty greetings!