Re: libc6 vulnerability

At 19:42 -0800 1999-02-07, Paul Vojta wrote:
Folks:

When checking the security of my system, I found that it is vulnerable
to the following standard attack (in tcsh syntax):

	env RESOLV_HOST_CONF=/etc/shadow /usr/sbin/traceroute foobar
 or	env RESOLV_HOST_CONF=/etc/shadow fping foobar

This allows the user to read any (text) file on the system.

I have a Debian diff including a patch for this, someone simply needs to compile and upload it. All that needs to be done is fix the debian/changelog (by that I mean the -- line, I give permission to use the -2 revision to whomever uploads this) and dpkg-buildpackage.

http://www.debian.org/%7Eespy/glibc-pre2.1_2.0.105-2.dsc
http://www.debian.org/%7Eespy/glibc-pre2.1_2.0.105-2.diff.gz
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                     <URL:http://web.espy.org/>