RE: Getting Started with SUNny

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Mike Taylor Vax/Unix Operations wrote:

> To format the new drive, if I remember it correctly (it been
> a while since I have used SunOS 4.1.3_u), the command is
> format /dev/sdb. This should allow you to partition and format
> the drive.

I'm not really sure, but it been a while since I have used SunOS 4.1.x me
too...

> >> from the boot prom (same place that I eject the floppy) I can
> >> probe-scsi and see both the boot drive and my new 1 gig (boot drive
> >> is ID 3...new drive is ID 6)
> >>
> >> Back in SunOS I type format...it says "searching for disks"
> >> then comes up with only 1 disk...which is the one that was booted off from.
> >
> >Try stop-a then probe-scsi (I _THINK_.. It's been a while) and see what it
> >says.

I really don't this can help... Try stop-a and boot vmunix -a or boot
vmunix -r (I really don't remember about SunOS 4.1.x but this may be
somethin like this...).

If this cannot work, try change the ID of the new drive... For SunOS 4.1,
ID 6 is the CDROM not an HDD (you should modify some internal of the
kernel for this...). I this you should try to change the ID to 1, 2 or 3.
ID 4 is for a tape and ID 5 for CDROM if my memory is good...

/Xavier

--
 Cybernet Consulting Associates - I.S.P. & Network Design and Consulting
 Xavier Beaudouin   -   Network Designer & Consultant   -   kiwi@oav.net