Getting Started with SUNny

Well my SCSI hard drive came today, it is a Quantum 1.0 gig.
Unfortunatly I am having no luck...here is my situation (no tmuch
differnt from last time but...)

I have a SparcStation 1 It came with 2 hard drives (both 105 MB)
one has SUNOS on it..the other is dead. WHen it boots it complains
that /var is missing...accoprding to /etc/fstab it is on the hard drive
that died :(
SunOS needless to say is not happy about this.

To add insult to injury...being all on 1 105 MB drive (some of which
is swap space)....there are NO MAN PAGES and no other docs.
It is just me and my broken system.
ok...soo...
from unsmae -a I get:
SunOS medusa 4.1.3_U1 1 SUN4C

It has 24 MB of ram...now onto the problems...
I type fdformat
it asks me to put a floppy in the drive...I do...
then it complains...errors... says something is wrong
if I halt the system and issue eject the disk ejects.

from the boot prom (same place that I eject the floppy) I can
probe-scsi and see both the boot drive and my new 1 gig (boot drive
is ID 3...new drive is ID 6)

Back in SunOS I type format...it says "searching for disks"
then comes up with only 1 disk...which is the one that was booted off from.

WHat do I need to do to use this disk? I was told i needed to partition it
what do I use to do that?

any ideas apreciated...im really new to Suns...I wanna get thi sup so badly

-Steve

--
** Stephen Carpenter ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** sjc@delphi.com **
"All authority is quite degrading."