Re: Debian LTS?

On 10/06/2011 06:03 PM, Moritz Mühlenhoff wrote:
Yves-Alexis Perez<corsac@debian.org>  schrieb:
On mar., 2011-10-04 at 11:59 +0100, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
Hi all,

I recall coming across the proposal/discussion in
<http://wiki.debian.org/DebianSecurity/Meetings/2011-01-14>
shortly after that wiki page was published, and thought it was something
which was worth persuing. I don't *think* I saw a follow-up email about
it to debian-private or a -bits mail, so I assume that noone had the time
to take it forward, but I thought it was worth checking whether anything
had happened.

The link you pasted has a link to
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2011/01/msg00006.html
(which is where reports should be posted, not -private...) which says:

----
* Longer security support for Debian stable

Current Debian releases are supported for a year after the next version has
been released; this tends to come down to around three years in recent times.
There has been some interest to have Debian stable security supported for
a longer period of time, say five years. We've explored what conditions such
support should fulfil, but more discussion needs to happen before it can
become a reality.
----

Basically this didn't happen yet afaict. What lacks is usually time and
(wo)manpower.

Someone needs to work on organising and creating a foundation (or similar
entity) to fund/pay the person(s) doing the (5-(standard sec life time)
years.

We've said repeatedly that this needs to be organised by someone external
to the security team. If someone wants to see this happen, get to work.

Cheers,
         Moritz

This is a major issue about Debian anyway.

A good reason why i choose Debian instead to other distribution is simply, that the software is good tested and stable. That is what matters. System to maintain getting even harder with new Technologies like XEN/KVM. I just want to run the System and it should running on it on as possible without great times on maintaining.

A LTS on Debian don't have to be every release, but Lenny should be one for example either wheezy then...

LTS doesn't mean to back-port everything like RedHat does. Just to allow for the System to be more up to date with special feature or have to be intime Software. So that you have a supported Database all the time and so that it keep being supported.

i would welcome a LTS of Debian

Greeting's from Germany, 4k3nd0