Debian Kernel security status?

Hello,

looking at the recent vanilla changes, there seem to be a rather rapid
development at the moment ;-) and I've to confess, that I lost the overview,
what sec-holes do affect debian and which don't.

I was frightend recently, then I noticed that 2.4.27 was fixing somecve-2004
stuff other a month ago as well as 2.6.

Just take a look at CVE-2004-1017. It was fixed in red hat in january 2005 and
fixed in debian in march 2006.

Therefore I suspect, that the debian kernel do have some security flaws, fixed
in mainline kernel months ago. Am I wrong here?

This takes me to a difficult point:
- I can run 2.4 on my servers, what is considered to be depracted for etch.
- I can use the debian kernels and risk being compromised.
- I can say goodbye to linux and use Debian/kBSD
- I can use my own vanilla builds, building a new kernel every day. (Looking
at the amount of patches since april 12th.)

Anyway, what do you recommend?
And is there any public status / shape information on the debian kernels?

Thanks in advance,
Keep smiling
yanosz