Re: Empty /root/.bash_history

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 09:21:14AM +0200, anders alm wrote:
> This has happened twice for me, first on an old mdk
> dist, so i went paranoid and upgraded to debian, and a
> few weeks ago my /root/.bash_history was empty again!
> Can it be something other than a break in? The
> partition /root lies on has plenty of space so it's
> not because of that.
> Any ideas/suggestions?

Hi Anders.  I've seen this kind of thing happen a couple of times when
bash exited uncleanly or unexpectedly.  I'm not sure of the details, but
it is not *necessarily* indicitive of a security issue.  Spend a little
bit of time examining your system (chkrootkit, debsums, etc), and, if
you don't find anything and don't notice any sort of strange behavior,
you can probably assume there's nothing wrong.

noah