Re: which pop3/imap secure method should I use?

On Monday 13 June 2005 04:41 pm, LeVA wrote:
> 2005. június 14. 01:36,
> Ian Eure <ieure@debian.org>
>
> > PLAIN is easier to set up. IIRC, CRAM-MD5 requires a seperate password
> > file. Shouldn't be a risk if you're only using PLAIN over TLS.
>
> I understand that with TLS or SSL the clear text passwords are secured, so
> do you think that an SSL + CRAM-MD5 combination is just a usesell
> complication of the problem, and I should stay with the SSL(or TLS) + clear
> text auth or with the no connection encryption + CRAM-MD5 auth?

I don't see why it would be helpful, unless you're trying to keep your info
secret from a determined/resourceful attacker. But an attacker like that
would probably get it anyways.

I use TLS & PLAIN, and encrypt/sign my messages with GPG for my business
email, and I think that's plenty secure for my needs.