Re: which pop3/imap secure method should I use?

On Monday 13 June 2005 04:23 pm, LeVA wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've configured a courier-imap server with pop3(-ssl) and imap(-ssl)
> support. Now I can not decide which combination of methods is the most
> secure (first of all) and most usefull (lastly) for me.
>
> The courier server supports both SSL and TLS, and I can use PLAIN and
> CRAM-MD5 methods for authentication.
>
> My mail user agent supports all of the above, so I would really appreciate
> if someone could tell me which configuration is the most secure way.

TLS and SSL are equally secure. TLS is easier on your system's resources;
Courier-IMAP runs a seperate daemon for SSL connections, which you don't need
if you use TLS.

PLAIN is easier to set up. IIRC, CRAM-MD5 requires a seperate password file.
Shouldn't be a risk if you're only using PLAIN over TLS.