Re: IPChains and IPtables

Alohá!

justme wrote:
I am new to IPChains and IPtables

welcome to the wonderful world of shooting Yourself in the foot ;-)

I don't know if it can change the IPCHAINS to something else?

with 'apt-get update && apt-get install iptables' You should be able to get iptables which is the righful successor to ipchains.

But I still have the Kernel 2.2.20-idepci

...which should be replaced by a 2.4.27 at least which is installed via 'apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.27'

I am totaly new to Firewalls and I am learnig with the IPCHAINS HOWTO

You definitely want to have a look at http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/iptables-tutorial.html which IMHO is the best tutorial for beginners and more experienced users.

The 2.4.27 vanilla kernel should have everything You need to run iptables but don't take my word for it as I've always built my own kernels.

regards

Martin