Re: ip spoofing (httpd)

You need to initiate a TCP connection in order to send a HTTP request. This
imposes some constraints on the behaviour of an attacker.

I can see 2 immediate avenues of attck:-
1) Proxies - get someone else to send the HTTP request on your behalf :)
2) IP Address spoofing.

However, since this is a TCP connection, the attacker either has to be able
to see the packets coming back (ie packets to his own subnet) or he has to
be able to gess what the sequence numbers in those packets would be (hard -
hopefully).

If he can see traffic to the server (same subnet, or on one of its routes),
you're screwed - as the attacker can trivially fake connections from any IP
address he wishes. If, ont he other hand, he is in a distant location, then
there is a limit to the damage he can do based on the number of proxies he
can find, and the size of his subnet.

This of course assumes that changing his real IP address is not a realistic
option (which, unless he is in control of the routing tables, it isn't. If
he controls the routing tables, you may as well give up now :)

Dan