publish a user & passwd: $1000 hack reward!

Hi! Steve Rudd with more "disconsolate mumbling" (great term <g>)

So if I did publish a user name and password (not that I would) that had pop 3 and ftp access with no shell access and was restricted to public html directories, is that a risk to the rest of the system? A standard public box has hundreds of public users and passwords, so there is really very little difference between the $1000 contest of publishing the user name and passwd and not.

Is this not secure?

Steve

> On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 13:43:55 -0500, Steve Rudd mumbled disconsolately:
>
> >  Why I could even post them on my root page and taunt
> > hackers to try and break in with them! I could even offer a 1000 prize for
> >  anyone who can crack and hack their way in!
>
> "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall."
>
> Proverbs xvi. 18.

hehheh, LinuxPPC did this awhile ago, setup a contest to crack thier
default installation.  anyone who did so would get the box (a beige
Apple G3) Debian now has a beige Apple G3 serving as a build daemon (i
think its still a buildd) thanks to drow ;-)