Re: secure install

When you clone mirrors you usually have to take some steps. Typically, depending on your mirror, you need to break the mirror and clone each side seperately. Someone told me this was because of drive signing or some other thing, but I'm not sure if that's the truth.

From: Carel Fellinger <cfelling@iae.nl>
To: debian-security@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: secure install
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 03:38:24 +0100

On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 02:14:44PM -0500, Steve Robbins wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 06:21:04PM +0100, Carel Fellinger wrote:
> > The disadvantage of this command is that it doesn't preserve hardlinks.
>
> Really?  Mine preserves hard (and soft) links.

strange...reading...hm it says it does...trying...and it does, how come?

I'm sure that just days ago whilst copying my mirror with cp -a to
a new drive the size of the new mirror exploded, but using good old
tar the size of the new mirror was about the same as the old mirror.
I think I checked some hardlinks, and sure enough they had vanished,
but in the light of this new test I'm not so sure anymore. Anyway,
cp -a seems to work.

--
groetjes, carel