Conflicts make APT useless

Hi,

I have upgraded glibc to 2.1.94-3.  During this process I have had
the same problems as many.  i.e.

* libdb.so.3 not found
* ldconfig disappears

But now my apt (dselsct and gnome-apt) shows many unsolved
dependencies which become very confusing and difficult to solve.
Most notable is the requirement of libdb2 by many packages.  However
libdb2 conflicts with my libc6, so there is nothing I can do.

How do I persuade my apt programs to work again, as I am fed up of
downloading individual packages that turn out to have
interdependencies that are too difficult to solve with dpkg?

Tom