Slicot in Debian

Hi,

I am interested in getting slicot [1] into Debian. Slicot is a Fortran
library implementing numerical algorithms for computations in systems
and control theory. It is licensed under the GPL (actually it is
dual-licensed because the library is also incorporated in some nonfree
MATLAB toolbox).

Parts of the library are already used in the scilab and octave-control
packages. The upcoming release of dynare will also use slicot.  At least
3 packages are therefore going to contain embedded copies of (parts of)
the library, which is not a good thing.

I therefore volunteer to package it, possibly under the umbrella of the
Debian Science team.

Note that the slicot website states that the source of the library is no
longer downloadable (they say they are going to reorganize the
licensing…), but there is still a working download link [2]. I intend to
contact them to see if they plan to move away from the GPL in future
releases. In the worst case, if they go nonfree, this means that it
could become unmaintained (at least from our point of view).

Do you have any comments/ideas before I start hacking?

Best,

[1] http://www.slicot.org
[2] http://www.slicot.org/shared/slicot.tar.gz

--
Sébastien Villemot
Researcher in Economics & Debian Maintainer