Re: BibTeX file from debian/upstream data (Was: New Debian Science metapackages)

Hi,

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 03:21:17PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On the other hand I think this is also a missuse what we regard as
> "citation".  You just try to link to the homepage in other words than
> just given in the metainformation.  Citations should be in some way
> publications in some (scientific) paper which is reviewed and the
> purpose is that people who are using a program should cite this in their
> work.

No, the way I "hacked" the citations for MPQC and CP2K in the obsolete
(and possibly the current debian/upstream) system is exactly as the
authors wish/requerst.  It *is* the canonical citation for those
packages.  So if we are serious about "Please cite as:", we should
provide a way for our users to use the upstream citation, even if that
is not a publication.

> I assume if they would like to simply specify the Homepage of a
> software they have used they will do it.

The citation includes the authors/team, the version and the year, not
just the homepage.  Or maybe I misunderstood what you mean above.

Cheers,

Michael