Re: Packaging scientific datasets for Debian

>> > We are waiting for hardware with enouggh diskspace. This is aboout there
>> > (ftpmaster.d.o replacement).
>> I read in http://ftp-master.debian.org/wiki/projects/data/ that the data
>> archive will require full source uploads. But if the source package is not a
>> simple downloader, this will duplicate the data and double the size of the
>> upload and the archive. Would it be possible to accept binary-only uploads? I
>> ask the question in particular because with one of our tools, getData, I am
>> considering to produce binary pakcages from scratch (or with a helper tool like
>> equivs, for instance). That way, the data package can originate from a signed
>> official package distributed in the main archive, but does not need a Debian
>> source package.
> For unoffical packages I have used a similar approach: an almost empty
> source package that build-depends on the binary packages (with exact
> version) that it is supposed to build. This was once suggested by
> Anthony Towns:

> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2007/06/msg00298.html

> However, FTP master previously expressed dislike of this approach. So
> I'd rather ask whether source-only uploads would be possible?

> Packages in question are in the GB range, so the difference is 1 vs 2 GB
> to be uploaded. Since data.d.o is maintained by the project I'm now less
> concerned about archive size -- although I still consider it wasteful to
> duplicate identical data in two different formats (tar.gz, deb).

Well. Compared to what i wrote back then, we had some (nice) changes in
dak, which might make it possible to handle this differently. I have to
discuss this with the rest of the team, and right now we still wait for
the machine and then first need to transfer the main archive over, so be
a little patient please. :)
(Basically make this part of the main archive for upload, but entirely
 splitted for the mirror tree and user experience. With special exception
 for packages in main to depend on it. And stuff. And so... :) )

--
bye, Joerg
In dem allseits bekannten Land, wo die Intelligenz von einer