Relinquishing some unofficial packages and infrastructure

Hi debian-science,

I'm giving up some unofficial science-related Debian packages and web
infrastructure.  Anyone who wants should feel free to take them over.
If you do so, it's probably best for purposes of coordination if you so
announce to this list ;-)

If no one takes over this stuff, most of it will probably disappear into
the ether (or at least the recesses of web.archive.org) when I retire
from Debian in the not-very-distant future.

1) "Cernlib on Debian" web pages for official Cernlib, etc. .debs

You can find them here: http://people.debian.org/~kmccarty/cernlib/

Anyone taking over the Cernlib packages and related may want to take
over these web pages also.  They aren't part of the packages.

2) Unofficial Debian packages for non-free package builder/installer,
XyMTeX and non-free Monte Carlo libs

See here for info:
http://people.debian.org/~kmccarty/cernlib/nonfree.html#mc

I wrote a (kind of lame) apt-src wrapper in POSIX sh called "ancis" that
acts as a wrapper for packaging stuff that is non-redistributable as
well as non-free.  In principle it could be improved and put into
Debian proper if someone wanted to do the work.  I've thought for a
while that it would be nice for Debian to have a single standard
solution for all the non-free data that various installer packages
need to download, but have been too timid to enter "ancis" into
the occasional debian-devel flamewars on this subject.

The "xymtex-installer-data" and "montecarlo-installer-data" packages are
ugly hacks: they have debconf postinst hooks that cause ancis to
download source code and build .debs out of the targeted software.

XyMTeX [0] is a non-redistributable [1] LaTeX add-on targeted at
organic chemists that lets you create line drawings of organic
molecules.

[0] http://xymtex.com/fujitas3/xymtex/indexe.html
[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/12/msg00029.html

It's conceivable the author may have re-thought his wish for the
package to be non-redistributable since 2005, but one would have
to ask him.

The Monte Carlo libraries in question are particle physics simulation
libraries that are distributed by Cernlib upstream but have licensing
conflicts or non-freeness that prevent them from being distributed by
Debian.  The only one of these still being actively updated is
Pythia6 [2].

There is now a GPL'ed version, Pythia8 [3] so someone might want to
package that officially.  (I'm not clear on whether Pythia6 was
relicensed to GPL.)  Pythia8 does not completely replace Pythia6 as it
is not drop-in compatible, being written in C++ instead of Fortran.

[2] http://home.thep.lu.se/~torbjorn/pythiaaux/recent.html
[3] http://home.thep.lu.se/~torbjorn/Pythia.html

3) Geant4 unofficial .debs

See here: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience/Geant4
and here: http://lcg-heppkg.web.cern.ch/lcg-heppkg/debian/

There was not a clear consensus on debian-legal [4] as to whether the
Geant4 license is suitable for main; unfortunately, unless something
has changed since I last checked, the CLHEP library that it depends on
[5] does not have any license, despite repeated pestering of CLHEP
upstream.  As CLHEP is now in maintenance only mode, this doesn't seem
likely to change so it's unlikely that official .debs of Geant4
will ever exist unless Geant4 upstream moves away from CLHEP.

[4] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2006/07/msg00016.html
[5] http://wwwasd.web.cern.ch/wwwasd/lhc++/clhep/

best regards,

--