Re: Grid tasks

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 11:59:28PM +0100, Steffen Moeller wrote:
> Chris Walker wrote:
> > Martin Quinson <martin.quinson@loria.fr> writes:
> >
> >> Le mardi 10 mars 2009 ?? 16:24 +0100, Manuel Prinz a ??crit :
> >> Maybe, I dunno.
> >
> > A list of globus packages appropriate for a client and server machine
> > would indeed be best maintained by the globus maintainers.
> >
> >> What I know is that there is several projects to setup a computational
> >> grid. And that since they are not compatible with each other, I think
> >> that it's a bad idea to setup some grid-{server,client} packages and
> >> imply that grid <=> globus. That sounds like a strong political message
> >> to me.
> >

> > And not the message I intended to send when I proposed these tasks. My
> > intention was to collate information about Debian packages that could
> > be used to build/use  a grid.
> >
> > If creating a task is sending the wrong political message, should I
> > put the information in the wiki instead?
>
> This sounds like an excellent idea to me. It will be a rather long
> wiki page, but an overview on what needs to be done and what is available as a part of
> Debian or what is coming, this would be nice.

I have started a wiki page at
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience/Grid, and it is linked to from
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience

Currently only Globus, voms and lfc are mentioned. If someone wants to
fill in all the globus packages, they can - I haven't time at the
moment.

Ideally it would contain information on how the packages work together
- so if anyone wants to write that, or provide links, then please go ahead.

Chris