Re: gerris - Gerris Flow Solver

Hi Drew,

> Ruben, what is the state of your packaging?  Is it ready for upload or
> would you be more comfortable if I did some fresh packaging myself?

There is a prospective package on mentors [1]. I have done some tests
and it seems to work fine, but I still have some piuparts problems.

[1] http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/g/gerris/

The source was repackaged to exclude the modules/ directory, because
there are some licence/copyright issues (a previous package including
modules/ was rejected by ftp-masters).

I was unable to contact RStarTree module upstream, but FES2004 upstream
was contacted about licence/copyright clarifications, and he ask me for
some time to discuss it with other authors... feel free to ping him :)

I confirmed with gerris upstream, and this modules aren't essential, so
I prepared a get-orig-source rule.

$ dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/g/gerris/gerris_0.9.2
+darcs081022~dfsg-1.dsc
$ dpkg-source -x gerris_0.9.2+darcs081022~dfsg-1.dsc
$ cd gerris-0.9.2+darcs081022~dfsg/
$ fakeroot debian/rules get-orig-source
$ mv gerris_0.9.2+darcs081202~dfsg1.orig.tar.gz .. && cd ..
$ tar zxvf gerris_0.9.2+darcs081202~dfsg1.orig.tar.gz
$ cp -r gerris-0.9.2+darcs081022~dfsg/debian/ gerris-0.9.2+darcs081202~dfsg1/
$ cd gerris-0.9.2+darcs081202~dfsg1/
$ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -sa

A lot of work is already done, but there are still some TODOs...
Please check my current package before trying a fresh one.

Current status:
* Missing manpage for ppm2theora tool recently added (I haven't tested
it yet)
* There are some shlib-calls-exit issues reported by lintian -X
* I combined the 3 libraries into one package, so package name doesn't
matchs sonames. An override was added, but I still not sure about this
split schema.
* Some piuparts problems.
* I haven't checked all the tests included, just some of them.

> I'd also like to register it under the auspices of the Debian Science
> team, if everyone's happy with that.  (Got a few packages of my own to

Completely agree. Please feel free to prepare a git/svn repo for gerris
on debian-science and we can work together on it :)

Thanks a lot,

 Ruben