Re: [RFC] New task: science-dataacquisition

Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> recently I had a talk with Tobias Richter who maintains the
> engauge-digitizer package (which I was not aware before).  I wonder
> whether this "low awareness" of cool packages like this is the
> reason that we did not yet invented a dataacquisition task until
> now.
> So my suggestion would be to add such a task which to my
> knowledge has to candidates for Dependency:

I added a Data Acquisition section to the physics wiki page[1] - so I
agree it is an excellent idea. There doesn't seem to be a free
equivalent that fills the space occupied by Labview - and it would be
nice to have one.

> --------------------------- >8 ---------------------------------------
> Task: Data acquisition
>   This metapackage will install Debian Science packages related to data
>   acquisition.  This might be used in several sciences (as for instance
>   science-viewing and science-typesetting).

> Depends: engauge-digitizer

Depends: g3data

Both these packages allow you to extract data from scans of graphs. I
actually classified this under "Graph Digitization" on the
DebianScience/Viewing wiki page.

Other packages - yes, Steffen Moeller's suggestion of qtdmm sounds
appropriate.

On the physics wiki page, I list

libgpib (boris)
libcomedi (boris)

and link to

    "G. Varoquaux has written an interesting article describing the
     use of python and pyvisa for experimental control. Agile computer
     control of a complex experiment. Computing in Science and
     Engineering 10(2), 55 (2008)."
and
    "Writing a graphical application for scientific programming using
     TraitsUI"

pyvisa isn't a debian package.

There are also unofficial debs of TANGO - again linked to from the
physics wiki. Unfortunately, there is an ITP for another completely
unrelated package called tango recently announced on debian-devel.

http://mx.iit.edu/ MX - A Data Acquisition and Control System. Is not
packaged.

http://www.aps.anl.gov/epics/ Experimental Physics and Industrial
Control System is used in some particle accelerators, telescopes and
other large scientific experments.

> Depends: gnudatalanguage

It isn't clear to me why you think this should be under data
acquisition - any more than octave,matplotlib,pdl,scilab,freemat -
listed in the "Numerical Computation (MATLAB/IDL like)" section of the
physics wiki page[1].

You might make an argument that

    * gpiv gpivtools A collection of programs for images that are
      generated during a Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV)
      experiment. This is a technique to obtain the velocity field of
      a fluid flow quantitatively and is performed by tracking tracer
      particles that have been seeded to a fluid.

would be a good candidate - I'm not sure. If the task gets big enough,
then I think that this along with g3data and engauge-digitizer should
be split into an "Extracting data from images" task.

The robotics task has

Libcv1 - a computer vision library

Chris

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience/Physics