Re: Debian package for Elmer - Re: ITP: Elmer -- Finite element software for multiphysics problems

On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 08:05 -0500, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 09:55 +0000, Antonio Amorim wrote:
> > Dear Colleagues,
> >
> >   I have previously created a debian package for Elmer that does not
> > claim to fulfill the official debian policies but might be useful to
> > trigger the debian work.
> > The package is available as source and for the amd64 architecture. It is
> > available form the repositories:
> > deb http://mirror.sim.ul.pt/debian-paipix etch main contrib non-free
> > where one can replace deb by deb-src and etch by lenny or sid.
> > In the backport to etch, I also backported libqt4 that is available from
> > the same repository.
> > The packages are elmerfem and elmerfem-doc.
> > All packages are build under pbuilder so the dependencies should be Ok.
>
> Thank you.  I'm afraid I'm already well-enough along that the only issue
> remaining is finding Scotch functions corresponding to
> METIS_MeshPartNodes and METIS_MeshPartDual.  I'm in contact with
> upstream, which is helping with this (off-list).

I've posted my first two versions 5.4.1-1 and 5.4.1.dfsg-1 at
http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/elmer/ .  The former includes the full
source, and works (as far as I can tell), but doesn't have the versioned
shared library.  The latter omits mathlibs, umfpack and
elmergrid/src/metis, and has a complete copyright file for what's left,
but ElmerGrid linking fails because of the missing Metis functions as
mentioned.

Both are supposedly in section "contrib".  The first should really be
"non-free" because of the inclusion of Metis.  I'm afraid I realized
*after* putting a lot of time into this that neither one is acceptable
to Debian, because Debian considers ARPACK to be non-free, and will
almost certainly refuse to distribute a GPL program linked to a non-free
library.

The only two ways to get around this are:
      * Get the ARPACK people to drop the non-free requirements of their
        license (see http://bugs.debian.org/491794 ).
      * Change the license of Elmer either to something like LGPL or to
        grant an explicit GPL exception to link with ARPACK (and maybe
        Metis?).
Both of these are, of course, beyond the scope of this maintainer... :-(

In the meantime, feel free to enjoy and add to these two packages.  I'd
welcome any patches to improve them.

-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/