Re: Recent ARPACK package

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 22:10 +0100, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> Am Montag, den 10.11.2008, 13:03 -0500 schrieb Adam C Powell IV:
> > On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 18:10 +0100, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> > > Am Montag, den 10.11.2008, 10:05 -0500 schrieb Adam C Powell IV:
>
> [..]
> > >
> > > Think so. But you should check, if it is maybe cleaner to remove the
> > > copy in the root directory and use the stuff in ARPACK, because this
> > > package is a compilation of ARPACK and PARPACK. But some time has passed
> > > since I touched the package, so you need to check this carefully.
> >
> > Thanks.  There are actually some differences, like "second" in ARPACK is
> > "arscnd" in root.
> >
> > There are a lot of diffs vs. upstream, where can I get your .orig.tar.gz
> > or a procedure for making it from upstream tarballs?
>
> Not "my" :) I just helped getting it into some better shape. The
> upstream sources should be here:
> http://www.caam.rice.edu/software/ARPACK/download.html. But Christophe
> Prud'homme AFAIK put them together.

Thanks.  I had downloaded upstream, including the patches, and found
that the files in pkg-scicomp differs significantly from them (including
a TON of whitespace difference), that's why I was asking about this.

Christophe, how did you make the .orig.tar.gz from the upstream
tarballs?

> [..]
> > Neither debian/rules nor any Makefile references ARPACK, but you're
> > right, a couple of patches apply to that directory.  Like second is
> > changed to secnd2 in ARPACK but not root,
>
> Correct, but it is not applied.
>
> > and noetime applies to ARPACK but not root.
>
> This one applies to both and is necessary to compile with gfortran.

Okay, thanks for the clarification.

> > I'll try to figure it out and make it work.  But I really need
> > the .orig.tar.gz which is not on any of the mirrors since it's been
> > removed.
>
> Ubuntu still has it:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=libarpack2

Ah, very good!  Will use this.  But it still suffers from the problem
above (difference vs. upstream).

Thanks,
-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/