Re: Debian-science: synthesis about VCS & repository structure

Am Dienstag, den 20.05.2008, 15:44 +0900 schrieb Charles Plessy:
> Le Tue, May 20, 2008 at 08:23:42AM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> > For instance I remember that we first had
> >
> >    DM-Upload-Allowed: Yes
> >
> > in many control files.  It turned out that this was case sensitive and
> > so it was changed to
> >
> >    DM-Upload-Allowed: yes
> >
> > automatically in the whole repository.  This example might be weak
>
> Hi all,
>
> another example: [ Mass-update for menu and doc-base transition ]

To be clear right from the start: If we choose Git, mass-updates like
this are a little more hassle than in SVN, as you need to clone (aka
checkout) all packages locally, modify them and commit back. This is a
design decision and valid, I just wanted to mention it.

The good thing is: this can be handled by a tool such as the task tool I
wanted to write. (I actually started already.) It just needs the ability
to checkout all packages (trivial) and commit changes in all directories
(not so trivial but also not so hard, I guess). Anyway, I think that
mass-updates are a corner use-case: active maintainers will handle these
changes in a reasonable time frame and for all others the (yet to be
written) tools will hopefully assist us on mass-updates.

Best regards
Manuel